Our newest Summer Camp series Nature Spaces brings a traditional artisan focus to making art with reusable materials such as wood, leather, burlap, shells, clay, natural dyes, and flora and fauna. Activities include weaving and sewing, totems and sculptures, wearable fabric art with natural dyes, fort building, instruments, and toy making.
This free-form creative camp brings out the unique expression in each child, by expressing creativity and using their hands in nature. We’ll use repurposed natural materials in traditional ways to connect with our roots as artisans. And we’ll have the opportunity to create some Andy Goldsworthy-inspired environmental art. A wide range of natural materials will be turned into one-of-a-kind creations by your child – scientist, designer, artist, environmentalist.
Art and science meet here as campers use their STEAM (Science, Technology, Engineering, Art, Math) skills daily through earth-centered play and art making. With creative thinking, problem solving, and collaborating we will explore natural and studio spaces and then create from our hearts. Possibilities will include:
- Slowing down, opening the senses, observing, and sketching in nature
- Fort planning/modeling and building
- Indigenous games, instruments and toy making
- Weaving and sewing with leather, burlap, and plant materials
- Personal totems and sculptures made of wood
- Wearable fabric art with natural dyes
- Forming clay and natural materials into functional art
- Ephemeral land art inspired by Andy Goldsworthy
We will showcase our creations in our “gallery” for the camp community to see. Each day we’ll learn about ways to live sustainably while helping the earth in this time of climate change. Some of these concepts will emerge through our art.
- 9:00-10:00 Arrival, creative activity, connection time
- 10:00-11:30 Exploring natural materials together
- 11:30-12:30 Lunch and free play at a local park
- 12:30-2:30 Creating in the studio
- 2:30-3:00 Closing circle, set up gallery and display art pieces
* Breaks and snacks as needed.
See the CAMPS SCHEDULE here.